Anyone who wishes to provide facilities for gambling, or to manufacture supply, install, repair or adapt a gaming machine or gambling software is required to hold a licence authorising the specific activity to be undertaken.” Gambling Act 2005
If you wish to provide facilities for gaming in the UK you will require a licence. There are three categories of licence (operating, personal and premises) – your business may need all three kinds. Operating licences and personal licences, are issued by the Gambling Commission and premises licences are issued by your local authority.
What are the licences?
Operating Licenses – if you wish to provide facilities for gambling you will require an operating licence.
There are two types of personal licences:
· Personal Management Licence – required by all persons who occupy a specified management position.
· Personal Functional Licence – required by those individuals who work within a casino at staff level e.g. a dealer, cashier, pit boss etc
To apply for a licence you should visit the The Gambling Commission’s website at www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk [http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk]
What are the costs?
There are two types of fee payable for operating licences – a one off application fee and an annual fee payable within 30 days of your licence being issued:
1. Application Fee for a new casino up to £40,000
2. Annual Fee for a new casino up to £102,000
There are two types of fee payable for personal licences:
1. Personal Management Licence £330
2. Personal Functional Licence £165
When should I apply for my licence?
You should aim to submit your application as soon as possible, and you cannot start running your gambling business until you have obtained all the relevant permissions.